Thursday, October 21, 2004

Halloween Woes

No, this is not some ditzy mother's post about what my children are going to be for Halloween (that will come later). It seems that the Camden County Board of Supervisors has been approached by the Bible Thumpin Right Wing Religious Sector, who want to change Halloween this year to Saturday, October 30th. They don't believe in letting their children run around as Witches and Goblins on the Sabbath. Pardon my ignorance as I am from California, but this whole thing is just wrong.

Halloween is a day that my children can dress up as whatever they want to be, run from door to door, collect too much candy, get a stomach ache and stay up a little past their bedtime. This is a day for the children. Please don't preach to me about the origins of Halloween. We are in the 20th century folks. We've moved passed that.

Wake up and drink your Koolaid. If you don't want your child to go trick-or-treating, fine. Keep them home. But don't you dare tell me that I need to move a holiday to support your out-dated, religiously fanatical beliefs. The next thing I know, you'll be telling me when I should celebrate my birthday.

I am mother, hear me ROAR! And if that doesn't work, I'm gong to take my booger and throw it at your shoe.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi this is Kelli - came to stop by your journal after you were kind enough to stop by mine.. You sound like a great mum/mom! Love the journal and do you mind if I add you to my list? once I get it up and running?
Kelli

9:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I may be missing the point here, but if they are religious enough not to want them having fun on Sunday, why are they letting them dress up as witches anyway. Are they allowed to read HArry Potter? Are the church leaders mad.. sorry.

We have our own nut cases over here

11:34 AM  
Blogger Moogie said...

christine, that's one of my points. I guess I'm not understanding the whole thing. I talked with a friend last night who has grown up with having Halloween on a Saturday if the date falls on a Sunday. In his mind, what difference does it make to the child which day it is on..just so long as it happens. I guess for me, it's just the principle of the whole thing.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Moogie said...

christine..that is one of my points, and you really put it nicely. What difference does it make what day it's on? For me, and it's just me...it's a day for kids to have fun. I don't buy into all of the devil worship and such.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home