Saturday, October 16, 2004

Wings over Camden

Went went to a scaled down version of what could be called an air show today and enjoyed it very much. One of the advertised attractions was that children could get plane rides for free. The adults would have to pay $15 each, but I still considered that to be a good price. I wasn't planning on riding in an airplane, even though my father was a private pilot when I was a child, so you would think I'd be used to it. You might say I got a case of cold feet (or, as my kids would say...chicken butt) when we arrived. I would prefer to claim it was because Moobear didn't want to go because she was afraid. I am a mom after all and I MUST support my children. I couldn't very well leave her on the ground alone now could I?

Turns out, everything was for naught. All of the slots had been filled up. This was a good thing believe it or not. When we got there, we discovered that they were only allowing ages 7-17 to fly. Meelie No is only six, and Seth is only 4. Moobear, who didn't want to go is 10, and Sarah is 7. When I first heard the ages, I thought "uhoh..think fast mom..this is gonna be ugly." On the one hand, I didn't want to deny Sarah the chance to fly, but on the other hand, I didn't want Sarah to fly, because Meelie No would be upset because she was too young to do it. I could have kissed the lady behind the table because she provided me with the perfect excuse I needed. This way, there was no real whining and it wasn't Mom's fault. This can always be construed as a good thing in my book.

The children really enjoyed the Firehouse Exhibit. I think that in their minds, that was by far the best thing of the day. They had a lot of activities for the kids. They even got to go climb around on a Coast Guard Vessel. Their favorite was the "tour" of the "house", which was a small trailer. They took them on a tour, let them watch a little video to teach them what they had to do in case of a fire, and then tested them on it...with real smoke in a room and all. Of course, for the rest of the weekend, I heard all about it and we have been discussing making an escape route in our house.

All in all, I'd say not a bad day.

Note to readers: I have been working on this post since Saturday evening. If it seems that it's a bit disjointed and lacking continuity, it probably is. My mind is in a haze after the weekend.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home