Sunday, November 07, 2004

She's got eyes in the back of her head

As a young child, I remember believing my mother knew everything. She knew how to make the best Halloween costumes, how to get splinters out without hurting, put your hair up so you looked like a princess, mend a broken heart, and find was to make chores even seem fun (I have yet to master this talent). She just generally knew how to do everything, and knew everything that was going on in our lives.

The thing I was most impressed with was the fact that this woman did not have to be looking at you in order for her to determine that you were doing something that would warrant her disapproval.

I can remember when we would be sitting at the table doing our homework, and Mom was cooking dinner. In stealth mode, I'd make my move, assured that my mother wouldn't see a thing since her back was towards us. Before my arm was fully raised and ready to smack my unsuspecting brother, she would calmly state: "Moogie, don't even think about hitting your brother in the back of the head." Dumbfounded (does that word mean you were found to be dumb?), all three of us would stare at each other in wide eyed wonder. My oldest brother, being the bravest one of the three of us, spoke up and asked "how did you do that?"

She slowly turned around with a wooden spoon in her hand and a smile on her face and said "I have eyes in the back of my head." I believed that was true until just a few years ago. Even now, I have my suspicions that she very well may have been telling the truth.

One night at dinner, that same brave brother walked over to stand behind her, staring intently at the back of her head. Not a woman to be bothered by the strange behavior of her children, she calmly asked him what he was doing. He promptly, and very seriously responded, "I'm looking for the eyes."

1 Comments:

Blogger MorahMommy said...

My kids truly believe that I have eyes in the back of my head. I remember the first time I said. I actually cringed. "Oh no, I sound like my mother!"

As long as it works, I'll still use it!

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home