Sunday, November 28, 2004

It's just another Sunday

It's a bit nippy here today. Well, nippy for our area at any rate and I'm finding it difficult to get used to the warm weather not being here any more. Apparently, so are my children. I had arguments with both children about what they were wearing before they went outside this morning. The youngest first started out by putting on a good dress and shoes. Um, I don't think so my love. Luckily, the tornado didn't hit, and she agreed to change without much whimpering, but then she came out in shorts and a tank top. Sigh...I mean, really. Ya know? We compromised, and she is now wearing shorts, a long sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt, with tennis shoes AND SOCKS thankyouverymuch! Man I'm mean. Or so she says.

Speaking of World Wars and the Great Depression, I then braced myself for the next battle. In comes my eldest, wearing pants that I could fit 12 homeless people in as well as herself. These were part of a pile of clothes that she received from her cousin (who she worships) and were in her "these are too big for me right now" drawer. One would think I would have learned by now. Put the clothes away in a box. Up in the attic. Somebody shoot me. So, after telling her, in no uncertain terms "you are not going outside in those clothes, no way, no how, period" she proceeded to sulk, go back to her room and slam the door. This was accompanied by muttering something along the lines of wishing for a different mom. Hah! Little does she know that any other mother would make her eat her vegetables on a regular basis. She doesn't know how good she has it.

The next attempt at the runway faired no better. She was wearing a sundress, a pair of my work sandles, and...nothing else. Sigh. I tried the practical approach. "Aren't you going to be a bit cold in that?" (notice, I've not brought up the shoes yet?) And of course she answered "no." Well, that didn't work. What it boils down to is she is in her sundress, but is wearing shoes, with socks (thankyouverymuch), and wearing a winter coat. Did I forget to mention that she was at first wearing MY leather jacket when she went outside? Probably best not to mention that. My blood pressure is still on the high side.

My youngest now has a new friend, The Rogue. They just moved in next door. First there was Little Man, which I could deal with. He is a quiet child, or, so I thought. Now the three of them run around together and I am no longer sure I want her to have any friends. I have two girls. My oldest has two buddies, Prince Charming, and The Instigator that she hangs out with on a regular basis. Boys are so much different. Perpetual energy with a massive dose of loud. When Meelie No and her two friends get together it reminds of a hurricane. Well, at least that's what her room looks like after they leave. I guess I should be thankful that my children have so many friends right on their own street. Most of the time they are outside playing when they aren't inside telling me that they are starving. It's a good thing right?

How many more years do I have until they move out? Remind me. I need to see that light at the end of the tunnel. What really scares me is that I haven't even reached the teen years yet.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm Moogie - you got a few years to go before that and erm I got news for you, Elder Devil Child will only get worse - hmm might wanna sell her to some really EVIL parents (you know thet kind that MAKE you do stuff you don't want like eat your greens :D)
Hmm I'm sure you might get a good price lol
I think you need one of these {{{{{{{{{{{ }}}}}}}}}} :D

Gopher

1:47 PM  
Blogger Melonie said...

I am sorry, but the position of meanest mom in the world belongs to me, just ask my oldest.

I have heard that when they hit 19 they will like us again.

There are days that that is the only thought that keeps me going.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

and I thought I was the only one who went through this... :) I have one who is overly sensitive to temperature and wears multiple layers (like me) when it is cold, another who is overly insensitive to temperature and likes to walk around with no shirt on when it is 25 degrees out. *sigh*
loved this post!

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home