Saturday, November 20, 2004

Questioning abilities

It's too quiet in my house this morning. My kids are both off with a neighbor, riding on a float at the Catfish Festival going on this weekend.

Here I am, sitting at my computer, trying to convince the blogging community that I am an interesting person who has many deep things to write about, only to realize that I must suffer from delusions of grandeur. This doesn't surprise me as I'm constantly thriving for a dose of self confidence that seems to continually elude my grasp. I'll often talk myself up in my own mind, which temporarily makes me feel better. Generally though, reality hits and I realize that what I write is most likely only humorous only to me.

I don't have any particular talent that makes me shine above all the others. I played the piano for a short time as a child but didn't stick with it (I wasn't very good). I'm not an athlete. I can't sing. I'm no artist. What makes me think that people would want to read what I have to say?

So I sit. And I wonder. And I contemplate. Then my children walk through the door, filled with excitement about the parade and the float. My eldest daughter yells across the house "Lucyyyyy, I'm hooooooome!" I respond "You got some splaining to do!" (I don't know why or how this started). My youngest runs up to me in the office and kisses me on the cheek. I can't resist, so I reach over and give her a big hug and rub my cheek on her hair. I ask her if she had a good time and she nods her head vigorously, squirming to escape the confines of my arms. Then she burps loudly and I smell the familiar scent of a grape lollipop.

Things suddenly fall into place. As both my children clamor for my attention, I realize that there is something I do well. All I have to do is look at my children. They think I am special, and that is what really counts.


7 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

Uh...your writing is very good and very amusing to me. (The description alone at the top is terrific!!) I love reading your blog because when I read it I end up going, "Yeah, I've had that happen..." "That sounds familiar"....until I start wondering...has this woman been in my house? :)

I think we're all our own worst critics. Your blog is great. Yes, you are a wonderful mother, and you are also a wonderful writer. On both counts, because you are insightful, compassionate and witty. You have heart, and that counts more than bells and whistles in my book.

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But you DO do something great: you have your priorities straight.

Really, Moogs, your writing is very enjoyable and interesting. As a plethora of tired old sit coms (NOT including I Love Lucy, btw!) will prove, trying to be over-the-top and The Most Exciting As All Get-Out does not necessarily a hit make.

And the Mommy Talent outranks 'em all, anyway.

- Mellie Helen (not "Anonymous") http://gollybloghowdy.com
(Blogger ID login still points to old blog site *sigh*)

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moogie :) you are special, just like I'm special to my only nephew (i know where your coming from on some of the stuff you post - he's a devil at times, oh and he thinks kissing girls is "yucky" - he's 6 he'll learn)

Gopher

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you write pretty well, too!

TW

4:40 PM  
Blogger Melonie said...

Moogie, you are a good writer. Sharon is right we are all our own worst critic. You obviously are a good and loving mother. So, in my opinion you have it all; talent and a happy children.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I got all teary eyed when I read this Moogie, because I bet i've done that a million times. Wondered if I added any value to this world, felt like everyone does things better than me... And then I just get aggrivated with myself and society because somewhere "motherhood" got steriotyped as less important than other jobs! There is nothing more difficult, thought provoking, challenging, and in my humble opion, more important than raising decent human beings from babies to adults. I happen to find your blog funny and can relate on many levels. Keep up the writing!!!

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there!

I wanted to say that I have just spent the past hour cackling because I have been exactly where you were. My nephews, niece, and littlest sister give me the same exact laughs, frustration, blood pressure problems, and love as yours. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog and I agree with the masses in that you are a wonderful writer and mother. Thank you so much for sharing your life with others.

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home