Monday, November 29, 2004

School days, school days, wonderful golden rule days...

Sharon wrote this touching post about her youngest son, Bam-Bam's, first day of school. I thought about her a lot today. I remember what it was like when my kids went to school for the first time. Both of my kids were so very different in the way they handled it. So I guess this entry is really for her. I do not have a special needs child, so I can't really be of help for her. Except to tell her, that in my own way, with my own child, I've been there, and I wanted to share. And I wanted her to know that I, as well as a lot of parents, are routing for her.

When Moobear was going to her first day of Kindergarten, she was so excited. She has always been the child who has had NO problems with going to school. She loves it. She is friendly and outgoing and makes lots of friends easily. She has the self confidence that I wish I had (and still do). She tried out for chorus this year and made it. I have been told that if she continues to work on it, she will have a really wonderful voice. Considering I can't carry a tune if you handed it to me in a bucket, this is wonderful news. I thought she had a good voice, but I am biased. To be told otherwise, is a wonderful feeling. She ran for class president this year, but lost. It didn't even phase her in the slightest. She told me that all she wanted to do was run and campaign. For her, this was the height of fun. We made campaign posters, and flyers, and she was in her element. She came home and told me excitedly that she had lost, but she had so much fun she was going to do it next year. Go figure.

Meelie No, on the other hand, had a difficult time from day one. She cried on the first day of Kindergarten. It was worse when we moved across country, and she had to go to a different school. We 3 girls (not Daddy) were the only one's here at the time, and luckily I took the day off from work. They started the Monday after Thanksgiving. A year ago today, as a mater of fact. I sat in the room with her for 2 1/2 hours on that first day, and she rarely left my side. She is such a shy child and takes a long time to warm up to anyone. Conversely, she is the one with a temper. Stubborn as a mule. Must get it from her father. Anyway, for most of the rest of the year, either her dad or I would walk her to her classroom. She was so sensitive. She cried a lot. At the end of the year it improved, but only marginally. She would drive the teachers crazy because she didn't pay attention, therefore, didn't follow directions. And she had difficulties working in groups. She read very well (at home and one-on-one with the teachers), but when she was forced to read out loud, her brain shut down completely, and it was if she had no clue what it was all about.

We bought a house here in February, and that following August decided to put the girls in a school that was in the new neighborhood. On a side note, this was blessed by both the girls and met with the boundless enthusiasm that the young so often show when faced with something new (if you are lucky).

Moobear, of course, walked right into her class on the first day and didn't even look back. Typical. I mean, couldn't she have even waved at Mom, and offered a trembling smile? Sniff. I looked down at my young child, thumb firmly entrenched in her mouth, lips trembling. She looked up at me with big, tear filled eyes and said "my turn now Mamma?" I nearly melted, but remembered that I needed to show her just how exciting this could be. I said "yes, it's your turn Little Bit, and you are going to do great!" I walked the halls with her to take her to her classroom, and she timidly stepped in the door. Her teacher, who I am in love with, said "and who do we have here?" When Meelie No stated her name, the teacher exclaimed "oh, I've been waiting for you! I am so excited to have you in my class! Come with me. Let me show you the desk I set up just for you!" Mind you, the woman clapped while saying this, and made my child feel as if she was the most important child of the school year. That was all it took. She looked up at me, took her thumb out of her mouth and said, "bye Mamma, I love you." She took another step forward, and then, ran towards her teacher and took her hand. And never looked back. And never has.

They take the bus to and from school. It comes and picks them up right at the corner, two houses away. They love it. They have made more friends than I ever thought was possible. They are doing much better than I expected in school. I think perhaps, this whole thing has been harder for me than it has for the children. I worried. I fretted. But I can honestly say to myself, "look at them now."

And I do. And they make me so proud.

Share your stories of your children, and their first day of school. What was it like for them? How did they react? How did you handle it?

2 Comments:

Blogger Melonie said...

Moogie,

I have always found it amazing how each child has reacted differently to their first days of school. So far, the first four have reacted completely differently--even the twins.

I liked your first day stories. I will post mine later.

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moogie, I feel for ya.. I just imaging the scene
if it had been me I'd have just give her a hug and said only if you want to or something but them again I'm just a big cuddly teddy bear of a pushover *blushes*
I can just about remember my 1st days at school, as for nursery (what we call kindergarden in the UK) erm it's a bit of a blur but apparently I was erm always figuring really complex stuff out... Hmm but its good that Meelie No's teacher realised that she was gonna be special in her own way etc. (I'll cut it short otherwize I'll blabber on)..

Gopher

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home